The toy, Aqua Dots, has been recalled. This is serious.
The toy beads are sold in general merchandise stores and over the Internet for use in arts and crafts projects. They can be arranged into designs and fused when sprayed with water.
Scientists say a chemical coating on the beads, when ingested, metabolizes into the so-called date rape drug gamma hydroxy butyrate. When eaten, the compound — made from common and easily available ingredients — can induce unconsciousness, seizures, drowsiness, coma and death.
“Two children in the U.S. and three in Australia were hospitalized after swallowing the beads.”
The toy is called, “Bindeez,” in Australia.
I thought I would post this as a public service, but I already know that She’s Right readers are too smart to buy toys that are made in China.
Updated: Since “hospitalized” can mean many things, some no so serious, I wanted to include this. Regarding the two US children hospitalized,
The CPSC said a boy nearly 2 years old “swallowed several dozen beads. He became dizzy and vomited several times before slipping into a comatose state.” The toddler was hospitalized and has since fully recovered, the commission added.
In the second incident, a child vomited, fell into a coma and was hospitalized for five days. It was not immediately clear whether the child had made a full recovery.
It’s also worth noting, the injured children were not all toddlers.